Sunday, September 28, 2008

High Fructose Propaganda

...really?



I just don't even know what to say. I think the most alarming thing about this is not that Big Food is fighting back, but that there are people out there who will see this on the tee-vee and believe this. If it weren't for that fact, it'd almost be funny.

There are a series of these, I suppose. My friend Beth and I have been keeping tabs in our outrage - there are at least three. If you need me, I'll be spending the rest of the day with my head submerged in a mound of dirt.

3 comments:

Vanessa Vichit-Vadakan said...

my jaw dropped to the floor when i saw that ad. dropped. to. the. floor. those scoundrel corn folks will say anything!

thx for checking in with my blog and for leaving such kind words. i'm looking forward to reading through yours. and yes, there is a method to the madness (i use that line, too!).

vanessa

Bethany Davison said...

holler! Have you checked the website? Check out the hairdresser ad...pretty amazing

I'm glad I finally got to read the blog...you're a great writer Jess! And I keep hearing Michael signing 'la vida veggie' as I read. I'm missing you guys and (sort of) the tigs.

Unknown said...

I would gladly defend high-fructose corn syrup if it weren't for the fact that it goes in just about everything. It is incredibly cheap, versatile, and provides an alternative to sugar.

That having been said, fuck all the people who will defend it due to the fact that it is NEVER IN MODERATION.

NEVER

Soda is one of the leading causes of health issues in children, from dental to glycemic index issues. There is more of a need to defend wholesome goodness of pure natural foods, and food in moderation, not jacked up syrup.

I will defend the penultimate uses of cornstarch. Is there nothing it CAN'T fix?