Wednesday, January 21, 2009

1/21/09 - and Recipe Odyssey El Segundo



Wait - did you feel that?

Is that it?

I can't quite perceive it, I can't smell it or taste it or eat it, but somewhere around 1208EST on January 20, 2009 -

- the change happened.

Maybe my head is foggy by the massive collision of cynicism with optimism (on a personal and national scale), but it's been hard to perceive the momentous shift in ethos since November 4th, since yesterday. There will be no heaven-sent dove clutching an olive branch, this we know. But if we take this opportunity to really, actually initiate a new deal, both to push for it and roll with it - the signs will appear. The change will manifest. For example...

I finished my VERY FIRST Tuesday NY Times crossword! All by myself! Maybe (ok, certainly) it was all the Obamacentric clues in yesterday's puzzle, but hell YEAH! See, things are truly happening. I'm just sayin'...

I know the FDR comparisons are flying left and right, but I can't help but identify with having a national leader we can look up to; one who, when he calls on the nation to do something, then by god, you do it. (No one wanted to eff with a Roosevelt, right?). So when the 44th started business by freezing salaries in DC because so many are cutting costs, such as by opting for cheaper cuts of critter. I haven't read anything yet about a rise in vegan- or vegetarianism on account of the economy, but hey, the depression hasn't...quite...hit yet...(ack, no! optimism, not cynicism!) Anyway, this action inspired me to really challenge myself by cooking with what I have on hand. That's always sort of been part of the spirit of this blog: living minimally, healthfully, and well. But I guess you could say I'm redoubling those efforts. This ties in well with the mini-series of set up, too! So here it is, El Segundo in my dinner-party recipe odyssey. We are officially now on leftovers. Since a serving of mashed potatoes as a meal is kind of a downer (remember, optimism, people!), I decided to fool around with...

Crispy Potato Patties

Roasted Garlic and Kale Mashed Potatoes
1 c breadcrumbs*
1/4 c olive oil

Allow leftover potatoes to come to room temperature; or, if using a fresh batch, allow to cool. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Form potatoes into a patty with your hands, and press each side gently into the bread crumbs to thoroughly coat. You made need to cheat a little - reform the patties if they start to break apart, or press in extra breadcrumbs in any uncovered spots.

Place the patties in the hot oil and cook until brown (about 3-4 minutes), pressing slightly with a large spatula. Turn the patties over and cook until the other side brown. Remove from oil and set on a paper towel to drain and cool for a minute.

The yield will vary, obviously, depending on the amount of mashed 'taters you're dealing with! I found that two of these guys with some gravy and some leftover Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Bisque made quite a filling meal.

*I don't really have a reason to keep breadcrumbs in my pantry, so... I don't! To make breadcrumbs, toast two or three slices of whole-wheat bread, rip into small pieces, and process in a food processor or chopper until fine - a little over a minute. Heat a pan over low heat and add the breadcrumbs. Toast in the pan for about ten minutes, shaking pan frequently. These breadcrumbs are drier and therefore more pan-friendly than your average store variety (many of which add preservatives, sugar, HFCS, and such baddies).

1 comment:

Nine said...

NYT Crossword IN PEN nonetheless. You are amazing.